Thursday, May 21, 2009

Qualified?

This isn't new, but it's been sort of newly convicting for me. I started paying attention to what we know from Scripture about the people God calls to something. There have been a lot of them in just the first few days of reading - Noah, Abraham, Zach & Elizabeth, Mary & Joseph, Simon, Andrew, James, John, Levi, the other 7 apostles whose names I'm too lazy to look up. We're told so little about most of them in terms of why God chose them or what qualified them for the things he asked them to do. It says that Noah was "righteous" and "walked with God" (but as Jake asked in his post, what does that really mean?) and Mary also "found favor with God," but the rest of them were introduced for the first time when they were being called by God to do something. Which tells me that the only thing we can know that they had in common was that they were able to hear and were willing to respond to God's voice. No other qualifications.

And the thing that convicted me the most about these people was how little information they were given about what saying yes was going to mean for them. I am kind of obsessed with needing to figure things out. I analyze stuff and overthink everything and more often than not talk myself out of decisions because I don't have enough information. But Abraham - God didn't even tell him which direction to walk! He just said "Go to the land I will show you." What the heck does that mean? When will you show me? How far's it gonna be? Should I take a camel or just a backpack? Mary - she was asked to do something completely terrifying that could have easily gotten her stoned. And ended up having this crazy life with a son who could do awesome stuff but people thought he was crazy and wanted to kill him. The apostles that got up in the middle of the workday - they didn't get anything. Not even like "yeah, you might want to tell your dad you're not gonna help him fish tomorrow." No information. All any of them had was some word that they somehow knew was from God, and because they knew it was him, they just did what he said. What's keeping me from having that kind of confidence in God's voice? Do I even completely believe he speaks like this?

1 comment:

  1. i can relate with this struggle. id expound, but im trying to be less hard on myself :)

    ReplyDelete