Sunday, May 24, 2009

Job Thoughts

  1. Job 7:20: If I have sinned - what have I (Job) done to you (God), O watcher of men? - Is this rhetorical? Is Job really saying that sin has no consequence to God?
  2. Who are we supposed to listen to in Job? When Bildad says "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with gladness," is that an indirect promise from God, or is it simply a man's opinion?
  3. I was talking with Evan last night about Job, and he mentioned 2:13, where Job's friends come and sit with him for 7 days and nights without saying a word. Evan said this is an incredible example of friendship... don't know how I missed that on my first read-through. (Then I read in ch. 16 "what miserable comforters are you all!")
  4. Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable reading some of things Job says to God?
  5. How cool is this to read?
    Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high
    My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God
    and he contends with God on behalf of man as a man pleads for his friend
  6. Job as a Greek tragedy -- any takers?

2 comments:

  1. def uncomfortable with a lot that job says to God. I wonder if his candid nature is a result of his deep relationship with God?

    The other thing i struggle with is disagreeing with a lot of what job says and agreeing with a lot of what his friends say. I know that biblically, his friends are not good examples of friends, but in a lot of ways i agree with most of what they say. I think it is proof to show how little i understand about human suffering and how we are to communicate with God. It also worries me that my concept of God's relationship with us is really skewed. I fear I have often given the same advice as jobs friends thinking that I am being supportive of my friends. It makes me weary to dole out advice (which i find i am addicted to).

    ReplyDelete
  2. * Job 7:20 I think Job is saying, "God, why can't you overlook whatever sin caused this punishment? What have I done so wrong to deserve this?"

    * Who are we supposed to listen to in Job? Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable reading some of things Job says to God?
    I think we see elements of truth on both sides of the debate between Job and his friends. We have to remember that Job is described as blameless, but he is not perfect (sinless). After reading much of the conversation between him and his friends, it seems that his friends are basically contending that Job deserves his calamity b/c of his wickedness. Job says that he is blameless and struggles to understand why God afflicts him while leaving the wicked to prosper. In some cases, I do think Job's friends are correct in challenging his bold statements/accusations toward God. But overall, their words can't be described as comforting. They were most comforting before they started speaking, which reminds me of the Proverb "when words are many, sin is not absent".

    ReplyDelete