Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Final Job Thoughts

I've read pieces of Job before, but never read it straight through like this. I really enjoyed it; it was very much like reading a drama. I could definitely picture people performing this as a means of passing the story down (especially if it is as old as our chronology puts it).

It really is a literary work, and I like that the Bible shows itself not only as a book of wisdom, but one of literary acumen as well.

  1. What's the deal with Elihu? This read through, his entrace was pretty dramatic and this reader thought "ah-ha -- here comes the real wisdom and correction." Turns out he said some pretty wrong stuff (example below), and furthermore, he's never even acknowledged by God. In the epilogue, God addresses Job and his three friends, but says nothing to or about Elihu.
  2. Previously, I asked about this line of thinking seen again in Job 35:8 ... Elihu speaking -- "Your [Job] wickedness affects only a person like yourself, and your righteousness only other people." Before, I was unsure of the logic of this. Is it true that our acts don't affect God at all? This didn't sit with me, and I wanted to share my Bible's note.. I highlighted the part important to me: "According to Strahan, Elihu exalts God's greatness at the cost of His grace, His transcendence at the expense of His immanence. He sets up a material instead of a spiritual stand of profit and loss. He does not realize that God does gain what He desires most by the goodness of men, and loses what He most loves by their evil."
  3. Behemoth & Leviathan: As a kid, I re-read this part so much (because I was in love with dinosaurs). My Bible (which focuses on the process of translation - rather than a devotional Bible) says that these two parts don't fit with any of the present material and are likely a later addition. I wonder why? What are the animals described? Often people say the Behemoth is a hippo, but it's funny to describe a hippo as ranking "first among the works of God." I've also heard they could be mythological animals -- mythologized by pagan writers or receivers?
  4. God's entrance: So cool -- so dramatic. God is often accompanied by a storm in the OT, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment